Weizmann CanadaView Weizmann Canada website
Director of Communications
Weizmann Canada is currently seeking a creative and motivated Director of Communications to join our growing organization. The incumbent will provide strategic leadership for, and oversight of, all brand strategy and communications in support of Weizmann Canada.
Weizmann Canada has seen significant growth in major gift results over the past decade, consistently exceeding goals, and the Director of Communications role is integral to our continued success and future planning.
We have made investments in our national support services over the past three years, as well as adding front-line major gift fundraisers. As we move forward, we see potential for expansion of our fundraising efforts (and reaching our goal of a sustainable $20M annually).
This position can be based in Toronto or Montreal.
ABOUT THE WEIZMANN INSTITUTE:
The Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel, is one of the world’s top-ranking multidisciplinary research institutions. The Institute recently ranked third worldwide in the normalized 2019 Nature Index. The normalized index looks at the ratio of publications in the best scientific journals measured against total output, Weizmann may be small, but its contribution is mighty.
Noted for its wide-ranging exploration of the natural and exact sciences, the Institute is home to over 3,000 scientists, students, technicians and supporting staff. Institute research efforts include the search for new ways of fighting disease and hunger, examining leading questions in mathematics and computer science, probing the physics of matter and the universe, creating novel materials and developing new strategies for protecting the environment.
Individuals, corporations and foundations around the world invest generously in the Weizmann Institute’s research, graduate education and scientific outreach programs, including many Canadians who share our belief in the power of research to create a brighter tomorrow.
Weizmann Canada is a national community with a core group of dedicated donors and volunteers, and 15 professional staff who share a common vision with the Institute of advancing science for the benefit of humanity.
Our mission is twofold:
• To raise awareness and support for the Weizmann Institute of Science in order to maintain its standards of excellence, and;
• To encourage science literacy across all age groups through events featuring guest scientists and through education programs.
Reporting to the Vice President, Operations, the Director will lead all national brand strategy and communication efforts and is responsible for all aspects of strategic communications related to furthering Weizmann Canada’s mission, national profile and strategic goals, associated marketing, and public relations initiatives and communications with Weizmann Canada’s supporters.
The Director will have one direct report, a Communications Coordinator.
• Understand the mission of the Weizmann Institute of Science
• Acquire and maintain sound knowledge and understanding of the Weizmann Institute and its fundraising priorities
• Work closely with staff at the Weizmann Institute in Israel and internationally to collaborate on communication and brand strategy initiatives
• Develop and implement a strategic, national brand strategy and communications plan for Weizmann Canada
• Build the Weizmann Canada brand and increase awareness of the Weizmann Institute of Science across Canada
• Write and/or edit stories for both traditional and digital channels to increase awareness, promote science literacy, drive engagement and increase donations
• Write and/or edit presentations, meeting materials, and event collateral materials
• University degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or relevant field or a combination of education and experience
• French conversation abilities are required, and French written skills will be considered an asset/Habileté à communiquer oralement et par écrit en français sera considérée comme un atout.
• Significant experience (10+ years) in brand strategy, communications, and/or public relations, with some exposure to not-for-profit
• Knowledge of Canadian news media publications will be considered an asset
• Experience creating campaigns and messaging for social media platforms
• Experience working in the non-profit sphere, directly or indirectly
• Ability to use the Adobe suite of products, especially Photoshop and InDesign to edit collateral materials when needed is considered an asset
• Demonstrated success in the development and implementation of strategic marketing and communication plans, campaigns, projects and initiatives
• Demonstrated writing at a high level
• Experience leading a small team
• Extraordinarily creative and innovative mind coupled with a highly effective communication style and persuasive abilities
• Experience in budget development and management, media (paid and earned), direct mail, experiential and digital marketing (paid and social)
• Able to establish and maintain productive relationships with a range of stakeholders
• A proven track record in brand management and an ability to develop key messaging for the organization
• A proactive individual with strong relationship building skills, the ability to work autonomously and to lead by example
• Ability to work under pressure, plan, organize and prioritize work
• Enthusiasm for the mission of Weizmann Canada and the Weizmann Institute of Science
• The candidate will be expected to be available for some evening meetings and events.
Weizmann Canada offers a cause that has a world-wide impact on humanity; a great team and a collaborative work environment. We also offer a robust and competitive compensation package.
Candidates are asked to please submit both a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 2, 2019. Candidate submissions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
Interested? Here's how to apply
Apply online through the company's websiteApply for this job